Rental Property For People on Benefits
At L&B – Property Management, we currently manage a selection of rental properties available to people on housing benefits. It is true that not all benefit recipients will be eligible to be granted a tenancy agreement to secure one of our managed properties, however to make it a little easier the following criteria list may be of help.
Basic criteria for application consideration:
- Minimum age for application is fixed at 25.
- A guarantor may be required (based on your circumstances)
- Are you entitled to claim housing benefit? (if so, you will need to clarify… will the Housing Benefit meet the monthly rent charged and how long will it take for the first payment commences).
- Warning - If you claim housing benefit and are not entitled to do so, then your benefit will be stopped immediately. Any overpayment will be clawed back by the council. As a tenant, you are responsible for the clawed back amount and a claw back clause will feature within the tenancy and landlord agreements as prepared by L&B - Property Management.
- The Government provides advice on Housing Benefit Size Criteria, if you would like to find out more information then please click on the link: www.parliament.uk/documents/impact-assessments/IA11-041.pdf
If your current circumstances fit the list of basic criteria*, then it would be of benefit for you to discuss with our advisors what would be the best way forward. Call us on freephone 0800 083 8945 if you would like to talk to us or if you have any further questions.
There are many factors which are considered to select a successful tenancy application. It is not a guarantee of success, if you feel that you fulfill the above criteria. All applications are subject to status and approval with careful consideration. All decisions are final.
*The criteria list is not exhaustive Terms and Conditions apply.